-and NOW from our SPORTS DESK - Athletic Director Mike Papenberg reports: Happy Monday Everyone! I hope everyone had a great weekend and a very Happy Mother’s Day for all of the moms. Here is a look at how our student athletes performed last week:
Congratulations to the Boys & Girls Track & Field Teams who both defeated Holy Cross High School on Monday. The boys defeated them 102-32 and the girls won 79-57.
Winners of the Boys events were:
- Abdul Iyiola in the 400 hurdles, 400 dash and 110 hurdles
- Kwinten Ives in the 100 dash, long jump and shot put
- Colin Broadbelt in the 1600 and 800
- John Latimore (The fastest Latimore) in the 200 dash and javelin
- Sam Adams in the discus
- Joe Russell in the high jump and pole vault
Winners of the Girls events were:
- Keronja Watson in the 400 Hurdles
- Maura Russell in the 400 dash and 200 dash
- Natalie Sherrill in the 100 hurdles
- Cadence Anderson in the 3200
- Lauren Gilmore in the high jump
- Natasha McGowan in the pole vault
- The girls relay team of Maura Russell, Ellie McCarron, Natalie Sherrill and Natasha McGowan
Special shout out to Alex Lindemuth for his 3rd place finish in the 400 and 2nd in the 3200 and Ellie McCarron for running the 3200 and when she finished got back on the track to run a stellar leg of the 4X400 relay.
The boys and girls track teams then ran at the Burlington County Open on Saturday.
- Kwinten Ives won the long jump
- Joe Russell came in 5th in the high jump to help the boys finish in 7th place in the county overall.
- Abdul Iyiola had a huge day finishing in 1st place in 2 events, the 400 and 400 hurdles.
Palmyra Junior Abdulazeez Iyiola competed at Northern Burlington on Saturday and became only the second boy in meet history to win both the 400-meter dash and 400-meter hurdles at the same Burlington County Open. Iyiola won the 400 in a PR 49.85 out of an unseeded heat and then just 15 minutes later won the intermediate hurdles in 57.01.”
The Palmyra Boys Tennis Team went 1-1 this past week with a tough loss vs Collingswood (4-1) and a bounce back win vs Delran (5-0). John Liebe won his first singles match 6-3, 6-2. Second singles Richie Butler defeated his opponent 6-2, 6-0. Austin Forrester also won his match 6-1, 6-2. First doubles teammates Julian Carlino and Connor McCann continued their dominance with a 7-6 , 6-1 win. Jaykob Ott and Owen Jacobs helped Palmyra complete the sweep of matches with a 6-1 , 6-2 victory. The Boys Tennis team is now 7-4 on the season with upcoming matches against Cinnaminson, Delran, and Northern Burlington.
The Baseball Team had a 2-1 week that started with a mercy rule win over Holy Cross on Monday, 15-1. Nick Adams had 3 hits while Jason Maniscalco had 2 hits and drove in 4 runs. Steve Peltz and Chap-Sa Lim each knocked in 2 runs. Joe Elmes picked up the win, striking out 8 Holy Cross batters.
The boys lost a tough 5-3 decision to Riverside on Thursday before recording a huge win over Doane Academy on Saturday, 10-8. Brayden Minnix, Steve Peltz, Joe Elmes, Nick Adams and Jason Maniscalco all provided 2 hits for the Panthers. Anthony Morgenstern was the winning pitcher, striking out 7 Doane players. The boys are now 9-5 on the season and travel to Pemberton for their next game today.
The Softball Team had a 2-2 week. The girls started the week with close losses at BCIT Medford (5-2) and Burlington City (8-4) before winning their next 2. The girls defeated STEM Civics on Thursday, 25-1. Paige Barben and Jisselle Martinez each had 3 hits and 4 runs batted in for the Panthers. Aubrey Wagner, Eve Fencl and Charlotte Reis all drove in 3 runs. Jasmine Martinez was the winning pitcher striking out 8.
The girls then defeated Willingboro High School on Friday, 15-0. Eve Fencl and Leannette Alvarado each had 2 hits. Eve Fencl drove in 3 runs and struck out 12 to pick up the win. The girls are now 6-10 on the season and return to action at Pennsauken today.
The MIDDLE SCHOOL Boys & Girls Track & Field Teams competed on May 10th against Willingboro, Hainesport, Beck, and Mastery Charter.
Standout performances include:
- Olivia Lynch winning the Shotput with throw of 25 feet 10 inches.
- Zaria Welch taking first in the Discus with a season's best throw of 70 feet 9 ½ inches.
- Zacharius Michel jumping 14 feet 9 inches to place 3rd in the Long Jump.
- Charlie Rosica shaving 13 seconds off of his previous season's best with a time of 6:24 in the mile.
- Season's best performances in both the Boys and Girls 4x100 relays.
- The Boys team of Sy'Keem Muse, Ueder Alves DeSousa, Tawann Durant, and Burak Sayin finished with a time of 50.54 seconds.
- The Girls team of Khloe Hunter, Raeghan Carr, Ava Sims, and Az-Zahra Pollard finished with a time of 58.83 seconds.
The team will compete in their final meet on Friday May 19th at Riverside