-and NOW from our SPORTS DESK - Athletic Director Mike Papenberg reports: Good Morning Everyone, Here is a look at how our athletes did over winter break.
The Winter Track & Field Team ran at the Toms River Bubble. Congratulations to all the top 10 finishers at the South Jersey Track Coaches Association held in Toms River.
- The Girls Hurdle team of Keronja Watson, Natalie Sherrill, Julia Ostroff, and Anna Rosica placed 4th.
- Sara Agnew placed 5th in the High Jump and Kirsi Muracco placed 7th.
- The big winner of the night was the girls 4x400 relay of Keronja Watson, Natalie Sherrill, Maura Russell and Natasha McGowan who finished in 3rd place.
- On the Boys side the Boys Distance Medley of Colin Broadbelt, Jimmy Crean, Abdul Iyiola and Owen Jacobs placed 4th.
- The Boys Team of Abdul Iyiola, Joe Russell, Colin Broadbelt and Luke Cannuli placed 4th.
- Joe Russell placed 6th in the High Jump and 3rd in the Pole Vault. Great job everyone!
Over break, our Wrestling Team hosted their Annual Palmyra Holiday Wrestling Tournament with 9 teams participating. The squad was able to bring home 4 medals after a successful day of wrestling. Trevor Young won the 120 weight class and was named the Most Outstanding Wrestler at the tournament by the head coaches. Other medal winners included Pat Daly taking 2nd place at 160 pounds, Ben Still taking 3rd place at 138 pounds and Toaha Sajim taking 3rd place at 113 pounds.
The Girls Basketball Team participated in the Pitman Holiday Tournament over winter break. In their opening round the girls lost to Cedar Creek High School 51-43. Cadence Anderson scored 19 to lead all scorers. The Lady Panthers took on the host, Pitman Panthers on the 2nd day of the tournament and cruised to a 67-33 win! Cadence Anderson led the attack with 14 points while Angie Sauls scored 13 and Lauren Gilmore added 12 points and 12 rebounds. The Girls are now 5-2 on the season.
The Boys Basketball Team travelled to Haddonfield High School and faced off with two Group 4 schools while missing multiple players with illnesses. The boys opened with a game against Clearview High School and lost 70-34. Reed Wells led the Panthers with 13 points. The Boys played Clearview on the 2nd day of the tournament and lost 50-36. Damon Bailey scored 13 points and Sam Adams added 9. The Boys are now 2-4 on the season.
The Middle School Teams will resume play this week.