-and NOW from our SPORTS DESK - Athletic Director Mike Papenberg reports: Good Afternoon Everyone! Here is a look at how our teams performed last week:
The Palmyra Panthers Winter Track and Field Team had their best track meet of the season on Wednesday at Toms River. Top 10 finishers included:
- Maura Russell placed 7thran a personal best in the 800. Maura also tied for 8th in high jump
- Sarah Agnew tied for 8th in the high jump and ran a personal best in the 800.
- Keronja Watson placed 7th in the 55 hurdles and ran her fastest time of the year.
- Abdul Iyiola placed 1st in the 400 and ran a personal best. He also placed 9th in the 55 high hurdles.
- Senior, Joe Russell placed 3rd in the high jump clearing 6’0 feet for the first time and placed 6th in the pole vault and ran his fastest time in the 55 hurdles.
- Colin Broadbelt placed 6th in the 800 and ran a personal best.
Personal bests were recorded by the following athletes:
- Caitlin Hartman, Meli Martinez & Anna Rosica had their fastest times in the 55m dash.
- Natasha McGowan and Anna Rosica had their fastest times in the 400 meter dash.
- Julia Ostroff ran her fastest time of the year in the 55 hurdles.
- Olivia Ottenbreit through her furthest distance in the shot put.
- Jacob Miller had a personal best in the 400 meter dash.
- Patrick Broadbelt and Carter May ran personal bests in the 800.
- James Crean ran a personal best in the 1600.
- Jon McDonald threw his furthest distance of the year in the shot put.
Congratulations to the Boys Track Team on their 4th place finish at the NJSIAA Group 1 Sectional Championships yesterday. James Crean and Owen Jacobs ran personals bests and Joe Barben had a season’s best throw. The following boys will be competing this coming Saturday at the NJSIAA State Championships:
- Boys 4X400m relay of Abdul Iyiola, Colin Broadbelt, Joe Russell & Luke Cannuli.
- Abdul Iyiola in the 400 meter dash and 55 meter hurdles.
- Colin Broadbelt in the 800 meter run
- Joe Russell in the high jump and pole vault.
The Girls Basketball Team beat Doane Academy on Wednesday, 38-25. Amanda Gilmore led the attack with 12 points. Kiley Hines had 12 rebounds and 3 steals. The girls continued to play some of the top competition in South Jersey in the South Jersey Invitational Basketball Tournament. The girls played Sterling High School on Saturday and put up an early fight before losing 50-19. Angie Sauls and Amanda Gilmore each had 6 points for the girls. The Lady Panthers record is now 16-8 and they will travel to Delran High School today to take on the Bears.
The Boys Basketball Team went 2-1 on the week. The boys opened the week with a 70-61 win over STEM Civics High School. Reed Wells led the team in scoring with 21 points. Jase Jennings added 12 points and John Latimore chipped in 10 points. The Panthers then crushed Moorestown Friends on Thursday, 63-23. Reed Wells again led the Panthers in scoring with 15 points. Richie Butler added 13 points for the Panthers. The boys finished their week with a 49-41 loss to Mastery Charter. Reed Wells scored 16 points to lead the Panthers. Richie Butler added 10 points. The boys are now 12-10 on the season and will travel to Shawnee High School today to take on the Renegades.
The Wrestling Team defeated Willingboro High School on Tuesday, 52-20. Wins on the mat were recorded by Rian Austin, Patrick Daly and Samantha Domask. The wrestling team concluded its season with a record of 9-17 and they will head to Cherokee High School on Saturday for the District Championships.
The Middle School Wrestling Team completed their season with a match against Gloucester City on Thursday. Wrestlers who won their matches were Sam Major, Chase Moritz, Logan Jander x2, Burak Sayin, Levi Jander, Meghan Austin and Nick Rex.
#GOPANTHERS Here is a link to our schedule to come cheer on our amazing teams this week, for more schedules & other information find us on PalmyraSchools.com